Business Development Manager
Remote (UK & Europe)
Fair HQ is creating diverse and inclusive workplaces where everyone, no matter their background, can succeed. Our platform uses behavioural science to embed equitable processes in fast-growing companies that make a real difference to people’s lives.
We’re an early-stage startup backed by prominent London VCs and amazing tech founders. Join us on our mission to create a truly meritocratic society.
We’re looking for our first sales hire to drive revenue growth that will take Fair HQ beyond our critical early customers to the next level. With your help, more people can experience a diverse and inclusive workplace where they do their best work.
You’ll own the sales pipeline end to end: identifying and qualifying leads through to demo and close. Our product converts well at demo and it’ll convert even better with your input!
What you’ll be doing
- End-to-end sales: Identify and qualify leads, nurture them through to demo and close.
- Establish our ‘post-founder-led’ sales approach. Quickly iterate our process and materials, leveraging best practices, frameworks and your own experience to get results.
- Find creative ways to spark conversations with ideal customers and create meaningful relationships that ultimately drive sales (baking cookies doesn’t need to be the only way, but can work for some).
- Work closely with the CEO & founder on creating a sales strategy and setting targets. Measure key metrics to identify learnings about what’s working and what isn’t.
- Collaborate to find efficient ways of onboarding new customers (particularly until we hire a customer success person).
- Help us expand our sales team as we grow.
Who you’ll work with
You’ll interact with everyone in our tight-knit team of 5 but here are 2 people you’ll probably work with the most:
- Kate is the CEO and founder of Fair HQ. Kate’s always wanted to have an impact on the world (ask her about running a model UN). She’s infectiously optimistic and addicted to taking on major challenges that let her keep learning new, exciting things. Together you’ll craft a sales strategy that allows Fair HQ to blossom.
- Hayley is our Head of Product. They’re a self-confessed geek and outgoing introvert who’s happiest on the internet. As well as driving product, they keep the whole team focussed to deliver our most impactful work. You’ll help each other understand our customers deeply, and your input will influence how our product evolves.
Tools we use
No need to know them all, and we often try new things. Lately we’re using: Hubspot, LinkedIn Sales Navigator, Apollo, G Suite, Calendly, Zoom, Loom, Intercom, and Notion.
What will help you do the job well
Please apply even if you don’t have experience with everything below. We’re happy to help you learn on the job.
- You care deeply about making the world more equitable and inclusive.
- You have a track record of selling to multi-stakeholder businesses.
- You make people feel understood and build relationships that turn into long-term revenue.
- You’re a storyteller. You can break things down, illustrate your points and make things memorable.
- You’re comfortable with any and all communication tools – email, instant messaging, video, in-person meetings, speaking at events, even cold calls.
- You’re excited to work in an ambiguous environment where you have a tonne of influence and ownership.
- Being confined to one area sounds boring. You want to wear many hats and work across different parts of the business (growth, customer success, marketing, product, etc.).
- You’re a self-starter and a fast learner. Even when you’ve never done something before you can find and apply frameworks and tools to get new initiatives up and running quickly.
Research tells us that women, non-binary folk, and people from ethnic minority backgrounds are less likely to apply for roles they do not feel 100% qualified for. If you think you meet more than 50% of our requirements, please apply. Our job posts are a starting point; they are imperfect, just like us. 💜
What we offer
- 💸 Base salary is 45,000-55,000/year for UK-based employees. Exact salary will be decided according to your experience, it is negotiable.
- 💰10% commission based on performance
- 🚀 Employee stock options – get a piece of the company success you help create
- 🤓 Personal development plan – access to sales coaching, tools, books, etc.
- 🌏 Flexible & remote working
- 💻 MacBook Pro (and either a phone or paid phone bill as needed)
- 🎧 Remote home working set up (using Hofy) or access to part-time hotdesking in your location
- 🏝 36 days of holidays incl. UK bank holidays (see our full Annual leave policy )
- 🍝 Fascinating lunch & learns with industry experts
- 🌆 Team retreats in places like Lisbon, Amsterdam & Prague
- 🩺 Private health insurance with online GP
- 💪 Other benefits tailored to your needs
- 🎁 Some surprise presents throughout the year
The application process
We’re Fair (it’s in the name!): we won’t judge your background & identity, we care about your passion, skills and experience. We encourage members of underrepresented groups to apply for this role.
We’ve taken care to craft a hiring process where candidates are judged on their unique talent and aptitude, not their identity. That’s why we don’t ask for your CV and we use work samples to assess your skills.
These are the stages of our hiring process, we try to do stages 2-5 in a week and we’ll keep you updated:
- Complete the application questions which includes 2 mini work samples: a 30 second voice recording and an email (15-30 minutes)
- Live or async video interview (30 minutes) with Hayley (she/they)
- Short homework assignment to assess your skills (1-2 hours) followed by a video call (1 hour) with Kate (she/her)
- Chat about the Fair HQ Values (30 mins) with 1-2 of the team
- Interview (45 mins) with our sales coach Pete (he/him)
- Offer and references